Thursday, January 13, 2011

Military Life

As a Military wife, I am well aware of all the benefits that we get to enjoy. We get great health care, my husband gets paid time off, and the pay isn't so bad. But yesterday our eyes were opened to a downside of the life of service. The Military absolutely owns you. You are government property, and your family just has to adjust accordingly. This wouldn't be so bad, but sometimes they give you no warning or notice of things that can effect every aspect of your life.
As some of you are aware, we got orders to got to Oklahoma City for recruiting. Recruiting wasn't our first choice, but because the engineer didn't really like Alex, he wouldn't sign off on his orders to go to prototype. We came to terms with our recruiting assignment. Alex was very grateful to be getting off the USS Enterprise and missing the deployment. I was also excited that he wouldn't have to leave me for 8 months and that I have to opportunity to find a new job myself.
But in one day, it all changed. And we don't know how much it has changed, just that it has. So we are in limbo. They gave Alex four hours notice to get ready to leave on deployment for who knows how long. He could be gone for 10 days, or the worst case scenario, his orders could be cancelled and he could be gone for the whole deployment!! He was completely checked out of the boat except for one signature, so now on this deployment, he has no job, no bed, no locker or any of that because he wasn't supposed to be going. Alex couldn't even express to me how angry or upset he was and I felt so terrible for him.
Now we are just playing to waiting game. Until we know how long he is going to be gone, I can't really do anything to get us ready for the move. I am just confused, frustrated, and at a loss for what to do. Well, I guess the only thing I can do is "hurry up and wait."
I know I haven't really given a lot of details on why he had to leave on the deployment so suddenly. Those details don't really matter in the long run. It is just a whole big mess that has been blown out of proportion.
I guess this post was to keep people updated, but also allow me to vent a little bit. I think once I have gotten it all out, I can better put it into perspective. I guess it's just going to be one day at a time. Until then, I miss you Butthead.

No comments:

Post a Comment