Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Snow!!

I have been wanting to blog about this for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it. On Jan 29 2009 the Hampton Roads area in Virginia got hit with the biggest snow storm in 20 years!! Comparatively, it was nothing when considering other parts of the country get so much more on a regular basis. It reminded me of growing up in Nevada where snow storms of that size happened at least once every winter, if not more. And school never closed down for snow unless it was over a foot deep. I think the totals in the area were around 6-8" combined on Sat and Sun and school closed the following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. To us, that just seems so crazy!! And the roads were terrible!!! Back home, the roads would have been plowed and salted with ease. No one would have thought twice about driving to work or school. But not here!! Most of the main highways were ok, but all of the rest were sheets of ice. At my work people were allowed to stay the night because if they left knowing the weather conditions and didn't come back, they would be terminated. Crazy, huh? But I had our truck and it got me where I needed to go and for that I was VERY grateful!! I wish I would have taken pictures of the white blackets that covered the city streets, or the sparkle of our pure whiteback yard as the sun gleamed through the storm. By the time I got around to it, everything had already turned into a wet, muddy mess. Alex didn't think that it was worth taking pictures of cause "we've seen snow before and we'll see it again" And he might be right, but next time I don't think I will miss the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment