Saturday, February 5, 2011

Under the Knife

A lot of my friends have been asking what surgery I had and how everything went. So I thought I would spell it all out here for everyone. I went in early Friday morning for laproscopic surgery to investigate some fertility issues. I had a test done called an HSG that indicated that one of my fallopian tubes might be blocked. So the doctors wanted to go in and take a closer look.
I was nervous the morning of the surgery, but I don't think I was as nervous as my dad was. He went with me since Alex wasn't able to. I was so grateful to have him there. He sat by me and talked with the doctors. He took care of all my belongings and my dog. And Phyllis was a real big help with all of that too. I am a very lucky girl to have them here.
They took me in to pre op and the nurse anesthetist was really nice. He explained exactly what he would be doing and I felt at ease. The doctor also came in and spoke with my dad and I again about what they were going to be doing. Basically, they took a camera and inserted it into an incision they made near my belly button. The looked around and did find that my left fallopian tube is blocked. At least that is what I heard afterwards. The last thing I remember in the operating room is them strapping my arms down and that was it. I woke up to them telling me to stand up and get in a chair. I had to sit in the chair and drink some soda and they had to make sure I could walk and pee before I could be discharged. I was in such a fog from the drugs they had given me and I hated it. I don't know how anybody can like that feeling. After I passed all their requirements, they put me in a wheelchair and sent me out to the car. It all happened relatively quickly. I was on the operating table at 0730 and home by 1130.
So far the recovery has gone well. I have been sleeping and my dad and Phyllis have continued to take care of me. My dad brought me every meal in bed. Speaking of meals, my wonderful visiting teacher was nice enough to bring dinner on Friday night. Lasagna and salad and even Oreo ice cream for dessert. It was delicious and not to mention extremely kind.
I would have to say a very big highlight in all of this is that Alex was able to call and check on me. I haven't been able to talk to him on the phone since the 23rd of last month. It was so great to hear his voice. I started crying when we went to say goodbye and it was a quick goodbye because Alex said he would have started crying, too. I was so glad I got to talk to him. I just miss him so much.
As for what the results mean for us, I am not really sure. Not only is one of my tubes blocked, but they also found mild endometriosis. They didn't remove anything, so for now, I don't really know what this means for us. I will probably find out at my post op appointment. I am sure they didn't want to discuss our baby making options while I was still as doped up as I was. All I know right now is the old saying there is more than one way to skin a cat. I really believe that we are going to be parents someday, come hell or high water.
I also wanted to thank everyone for all your kind words and prayers. It really means a lot to us and I think it is due to all of that, that I am recovering so well. My in-laws and all my close friends have really been a force to rely on lately and I can't express enough thanks to them. I love you and miss you. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment