Wednesday, April 21, 2010

USS Enterprise

Today Alex was able to take me to work and show me around. I was so excited to go and see the aircraft carrier. I mean how many people get to actually visit the USS Enterprise, the oldest ship in the Navy fleet? I learned a lot about how it all works and it was neat to see my husband's home away from home. He actually got to show me his "rack" (aka-his bed) and his storage space. It was a little claustrophobic down there, but I didn't get to stay long and I didn't really want to because that is where all the guys get changed and stuff (my poor virgin eyes lol)
After he showed me where he sleeps, I got to see where he eats, the Galley, as it's called. They were in the middle of serving lunch, so it was busy down there. It amazes me that so many people live on that ship! I couldn't actually go see where Alex works because it's a restricted area. But the rest that he showed me I got some pictures of!


This is retired plane that sits on the flight deck, I guess as sort of a mascot. It's name is Big Rob.

This was painted on the side by the flight deck. I have no idea what blast props or rotors are, but BEWARE!

This is the flight deck elevator. It takes the planes from the hangar bay up to the flight deck.

Some more art on the side up on the flight deck.

Alex got me a better view of the flight deck. I don't know if you can see it but there are some cables running horizontally that catch the planes when they land.

This is the end of the flight deck and I loved how they had a flag out there flying.



I was standing on a step looking over the flight deck, and I just had to snap a shot of this good lookin' sailor!



This is one of the look-outs. When the ship is out to sea sailors stand here and, well, look-out. It was a pretty amazing view!



This is the front and I don't think you can see it in this picture, but there are lines running vertically down the flight deck that are catapults that shoot the planes off the boat.



"Uhhhh.....boat rope?" If anyone watches Friends as much as we do, you will know EXACTLY what this references!

In this picture we are now under the flight deck. Those are the life rafts and they expand to hold about 18 people...but they better not ever have to be used!!



This is one of the only weapons on the ship. I can't remember what Alex called it. I guess he can remind me later.

This must be just for looks cause if you go overboard on this monster ship, I really don't think that lil' preserver is going to do much.

This is called a bulls eye. If you know how to crack the code then it tells you where you are on the ship. Alex obviously could tell me exactly what it all means together, but I would just have to be lost if I was left to my own devices.

This is something set up for the Officers, which my Alex is not. He is an ordinary enlisted fella.

Some one offered to take a picture of us and this is what we got. PDA is not allowed in uniform, so he couldn't even put his arm around me. And I don't know if you can tell, but Alex doesn't really like to smile in pictures.

Some emblems, I guess I could call them, that were hanging up in the hangar bay. I guess I forgot to upload the picture I took of the entire length of the hangar bay but it's roughly 900 ft long and can hold about 50 planes at a time. The Enterprise can actually hold 80-85 planes between the flight deck and the hangar bay. Oh, and the flight deck is roughly 1100 ft long.



I took this one on our way out to the car. It's so big, I couldn't get the whole thing in the picture! I wish I could have taken more pictures of what I saw like the Galley, his rack, and maybe a couple sets of stairs. I know it sounds weird to take pictures of stairs but there were s0o0o many of them and so0o0o steep! I got out of breath when were were trying to get above the flight deck to look out and Alex thought that was kinda funny.
It was an interesting day and now when he's away from weeks at a time I will be able to picture exactly what he's doing. I plan on going to see it again and maybe get some more pictures....anything to spend time with my best friend!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment